Friday, July 1, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect – A Trial Leave of Absence?

As we discussed our finances for retirement, it appeared clear to me that with Paul’s income and our rental income, I would not be pressured to continue to have ongoing income.  Keep in mind that I do plan to have part time income, hopefully from working in resort areas – but I don’t ever want to be in the position of being a 70+ woman really truly needing additional income and not being able to find a job.  If I have to work, I might as well keep my current job.

Paul suggested that I think about asking my current employer for a 4 month leave of absence for a summer, so we could try working in a resort area or as a camp host and see if we even like the lifestyle.  As I think about this, I think it’s worth considering. 

A look in the company’s HR manual tells me that my manager could approve a personal leave of absence for 6 weeks to 6 months – however, she would be under no obligation to keep my position open.  During the leave of absence I could continue to pay for our current health coverage at the employee rate (as opposed to the much-higher retiree rate).   

Assuming the company would want me back after the leave of absence, my manager would know what my absence would mean to the department, and I would know if I needed to rethink my plans.  Possibly a win-win.   Worth considering… 

No comments:

Post a Comment