Saturday, July 16, 2011

Part-Time Employment Revisited

So just how am I going to come up with $15,000 a year until I’m eligible for Social Security? 

In a perfect world, I’ll be able to work every year from January 1 – April 15.  Yes, tax season.  Too bad I’m not an accountant.  Paul is.  He is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site coordinator.  He could work every day during tax season – doing taxes for low income people for free.  His free tax work leaves me free as well.
I have a couple of skills that I suspect will be in demand on a consulting basis.   The internet seems to confirm this; there are a number of consulting firms and temporary agencies advertising for technology jobs.  My current company has ongoing contracts with ten of these firms:  Apple One, Adecco, Aerotek, Employee Relations Associates, Kelly Services, Manpower, Inc., Randstad, Robert Half, Select Staffing, and Spherion.  All but Employee Relations Associates and Randstad have local offices and list local openings. 

Would I be able to eligible to consult with my current company after retirement?  Company policy dictates a 12 month break in service prior to hiring a former employee as a consultant, so that’s not a possibility the first year of retirement, but I could still get on with one of the eight firms still on the “short list” and take other assignments until I qualified to return.  Once I return, I can work as a consultant for a maximum of 18 months.  At four months an assignment (still designing the perfect world) that would be about 4 years.  OK, ability to do so aside – do I really want to consult with my current company after I become a retiree?
Enough of this serious stuff – what about winter seasonal employment – which in this part of the United States means ski resorts?  I’m already seeing ads in the local papers for seasonal work at local resorts.  It may not be as much money, but it would be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment