Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our Thirty-Year Anniversary

Today Paul and I have been married for 30 years.  That’s us in the wedding photo – uploaded through the magic of desktop scanning.  I did not have wrinkles; Paul did have hair. 

I believe that even in years past this would be considered a significant milestone.  Today, with nearly 50% of marriages ending in divorce, I believe it’s even more significant.  These days, my kids used to tell me, “There are support groups for kids whose parents are still together.” 
I also believe that the longevity of our marriage has contributed significantly to our ability to retire relatively early.  Neither of us married for money – we had so little money when we were first married that when Paul offered me a small engagement ring or a washer and dryer, I chose the washer and dryer.  We are, however, proud to say that what we have we have built together.

Paul credits me for his financial success – in a roundabout way.  He’s always told people, “The secret to my financial success is that my wife works.  And it’s the same wife.”  (He always gets groans from his divorced associates on that last line.)  While we laugh at this, we have contributed equally, throughout the years, to ensuring that we could live our dream of early retirement and the adventures we look forward to.
Happy Anniversary to the love of my life and my best friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment