Friday, May 20, 2011

Are You Crazy?

“Don’t retire – you’ll miss the money.”
“I can’t believe you would ever want to stop working.”
“What are you going to DO?”
As I’ve begun to tell people about our plans to retire, responses have run from hearty congratulations to doom-and-gloom disbelief.  Retiring is a huge change, and change is scary – even when you’re only pondering someone else’s change.
It must be said that corporate America has been very good to me over the years.  And it must also be said that I like my current job, and I am doing rather well at it.  I’m not retiring because my performance is slipping; I’m retiring to live my dream.  Is living my dream – living our dream – going to be worth giving up the security of nine-to-five?  I believe it is.
I haven’t yet told anyone at work of my plans to retire.  It’s a year away, and a lot can happen in a year.  Change is scary.  Besides, I want my co-workers to continue thinking I’m in my 40’s for as long as I can get away with it. J

No comments:

Post a Comment