Wednesday, October 18, 2017

All In

Into each runner’s life there comes a decision point:  to go for it – or not to go for it.   It, of course, is the marathon.  The holy grail of running.  Twenty six point two miles.  Sue and I have decided to go for it.  We chose the Las Vegas Rock ‘n Roll Marathon because, to quote Sue, “it’s low and flat.”  It’s also later in the year – and at night – so heat won’t be a factor in making it through all those miles.

Actually, the decision was made several months ago, but in the last few months it’s become real.  The training is getting harder – and definitely more time consuming.  “Honey, I’m going for a run.  Be back in four hours.”  Not only are the long runs getting longer, but the short runs are also getting longer. 

The long miles are exhausting.  When I come in from a long run all I want to do is sleep.  I guess it’s a good thing that the Las Vegas Rock ‘n Roll Marathon is held at night.  When I get it in will be way past my bedtime. 

The long miles also take a toll on one’s legs and feet.  Think about it.  The average person takes 2000 steps per mile.  That’s – drum roll, please – 52,000 steps in the marathon.  Fifty-two-thousand times my feet will hit the pavement.  Training at 20 – 30 miles a week, well, you can do the math.  Whew!  No wonder I’ve worn out a pair of shoes in only 5 months.


We got a bit of a scare after the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas. 
Our hearts go out to the victims of this needless tragedy, and our hearts are all in for Las Vegas.  We will be there to support the city – just as runners returned to Boston after the bombings.  After all, if training for a marathon doesn’t scare you – what will?  #VegasStrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment