Saturday, February 17, 2018

Driving a Subaru

One year ago today I bought my first Subaru. 

I can’t pinpoint the exact reason I wanted a Subaru.  But when it was time for me to shop for a new car, it was the one that caught my eye.  Of course, I tried to be fair.  Nearly every car manufacturer has an all-wheel drive Sport Utility Vehicle similar to the Subaru.  “Look,” I would say to my husband as we drove past one, “there’s the Ford wanna-be.  There’s the Nissan wanna-be.”  Etcetera.  But when it came right down to it, I didn’t want a “wanna-be.”  I wanted the real thing.

Subaru definitely has a culture.  I guess there are other cars that have a culture.  I just haven’t owned one.  I mean, seriously.  What do you think of when you think Buick?  Old???  When you think Subaru, you think of the outdoors, of adventure.  In fact, when I told my daughter and her then-fiancé that I was considering a Subaru, they told me I wasn’t “granola” enough.  They issued a challenge – make it to the top of the climbing wall to get their blessing on buying a Subaru.  I was game – and I succeeded!

My Outback has been a great road trip car.  Since buying it, I’ve taken it all over the Western U.S. – to the tune of 18,000 miles in the first year!  First oil change and 6000 mile checkup!  Check.  Second oil change and 12,000 mile checkup!  Check.  Third oil change and 18,000 mile checkup!  Check.  The Subaru dealer’s service department waiting room has been all that I expected.  Free water, sodas, juices and popcorn.  Recycle bins.  Dog biscuits and a water bowl for the best friend who rides in the back.  The technicians and service representatives are top notch, and they even give me a cookie on the way out. 

My Outback also does quite well off the beaten path.  We’ve taken it off-road several times, and the only problem is getting all the dirt off the back windshield.  There’s a spot at the top of the lift gate that car washes just don’t reach.  Oh, well.

In case you’ve heard the rumor that the Subaru Outback is a “lesbian” car, let me set the record straight.  In 1995, Subaru of America became the founding sponsor of the Rainbow Endowment, a 501©3 charity that contributes to non-profits serving the LGBTQ community.  So our LGBTQ friends support Subaru because Subaru supports them, and has done so long before it became fashionable.  Now we know.

According to Wikipedia, the word “Subaru” is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster, also known as the Seven Sisters.  According to tradition, one of the sisters is invisible; hence there are only six stars in the Subaru logo.  I’m convinced the stars aligned for me when I made the decision to buy a Subaru. Love it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment