Monday, April 1, 2013

Superfeet

Brian at Wasatch Running is a Certified Pedorthist (C.Ped).  The field of Pedorthics is the study of footwear and supplemental devices for footwear; including orthoses, prostheses, shoe modifications, shoe fitting and shoe fabrication.  The licensing board for Pedorthics is the BCP (Board for Certification in Pedorthics) The BCP is recognized by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the ABC (American Board of Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics).

I asked Brian several weeks ago why my right foot still hurt after longer runs.  After examining my foot, he explained that I had a hyper-mobile first ray.  My first metatarsal has more range of motion than normal, which causes friction at the joint where I’m feeling the pain.  He brought out a scale model of the bones in the foot to show me exactly where this friction is occurring. Then he went into the back room and came back with a pair of bright pink shoe inserts.  “I just happened to have these lying around,” he explained.  “Try them and see if they help.”

I’ve been trying them since.  I’ve found that as I get further into a long run – say the four to five mile point, I’ll start to feel numbness in my toes.  This is my reminder that maybe my technique is slipping and I consciously remind myself to bend my knees and lift my heels so I’m not pushing off.  But here’s the best part – I don’t have soreness in the arches after the long runs anymore. 

The brand name of these inserts is “Superfeet.”  According to their web site, www.superfeet.com, they sell insoles for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, running and walking, soccer, cycling, golfing, hockey – even for industrial and military use. 

Their ultimate test came in the Red Rock Relay – Dixie.   I ran two legs separated by three hours rest, 5.17 miles and 7.43 miles.  That’s the furthest I’ve run since I was 21!  And get this – no foot pain! 
I’m sold.  Of course, they sell Superfeet at Wasatch Running Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment